WHAT I DO

I will lay your Hedge, Build or repair your Dry stone walling or plant new hedges.

Hedgelaying, Planting, Drystone Walling, Garden features, House stonework, hedgelaying, teaching, illustrated talks, Training in Hedgelaying, Stonework, Drystone Walling

I live and work in the North York Moors area



I'm a qualified hedgelayer and have laid hedges in Ireland, Holland and in the UK. I'm also a drystone waller and have built houses (and walls), garden features, gate entrances in Ireland, Australia and in England.

I've been told I'm a bit of walling and hedgelaying nerd. But I don't mind it because it's normal. Doesn't everyone stop and take pictures of these when they are on holiday?

Some of the site contains my work along with pictures of hedges, walls and walling features from places I've visited. It should be pretty obvious which is my work.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Stooks - Gate Posts

Just above the National Trust campsite in Great Langdale in Cumbria I found this old example of a gate entrance. Round holes on one side and square ones on the other. Don't quite know why they are different but...... They look nice.

















Stoops or Gate Posts now hang gates. But a long time ago gates consisted of five or six wood poles inserted into holes in the stoops. In this part of North Yorkshire these are almost always consist of a horizontal rebate with aright angle turn downwards to hold the wooden pole.(see below)

This is the only example of a post with a curved rebate I've seen. Note also that the top rebate is coming from the other field side of the gate. This makes it difficult for cattle to lift them off. This example is immediately west of Bransdale Mill.






This is the normal stoop with 5 rebates
for rails. This well preserved stoop with holes on the other side of the opening is near Glaisdale on the old road/track leading from the ford at the railway bridge. Notice the superb wall seperating Arncliffe woods from the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment